Table of Contents
I bought a new router LinkSys WRT160NL to replace an Alvarion GW5051 provided by my internet service provider. The main reason replacing the router was with the intention of installing third party firmware which provided more functionality. Installing third party firmware was not possible with router provided by the service provider.
For the firmware, I had a choice between TomatoUSB or DD-WRT. However, after a bit of research I realised that LinkSys WRT160NL was not on TomatoUSB compatibility list and therefore settled on DD-WRT.
So off I went and downloaded the most recent
DD-WRT (16214) DD-WRT (25697) firmware. Note that version 14896 21061 is listed as the most current version on the DD-WRT router database for WRT160NL router.
The final task was installation. Vertically-Integrated Projects (VIP) Website contains a step by step flashing guide. The following instructions are lifted from that guide.
Log into your router using the web GUI
- Type the IP address of the router into the address bar of the web browser. The default IP address for LinkSys WRT160NL is 192.168.1.1.
- Type your username and password and click OK button.
- Backup or record settings of the router that may be required after upgrading. Things like your IP, Gateway and DNS addresses.
Do a hard reset aka 30/30/30. The following procedure will clear out all the router settings and set dd-wrt back to default values:
- With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on back of unit for 30 seconds
- Without releasing the reset button, power off the device by removing the power cable and hold for 30 seconds
- Without releasing the Reset button put the power cable on and hold for 30 seconds
This procedure should be done before and after the firmware upgrade/downgrade.
Upload the Firmware
3.1. Log into the router web GUI. After the hard reset, the address will be 192.168.1.1 You may be required to setup a username and password
3.2. Click the Administration tab
3.3. Click the Firmware Upgrade sub-tab.
3.4. Click the Browse button and select the linksys-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin file you downloaded
3.5. Click the Upgrade button.
3.6. The router will take a few minutes to upload the file and flash the firmware. During this time, the power light will flash.
3.7. A new page will open confirming that the upload was successful. Now wait about 5 minutes before clicking Continue.
3.8. Lastly, do another hard reset on the unit.
- Hard reset ONLY after you have confirmed that the firmware upgrade is working.
- Many Web Interface problems can be solved by a hard reset and by clearing your browser cache.
3.9. If flashed successfully you will now be able to access the DD-WRT web interface at 192.168.1.1
3.10. You will be prompted to change the username and password.